I was watching my baby girl walk this morning. She’s getting really confident on her feet. Only a month or two ago she would make one or two steps, fall down, get up and try again, and again. Nowadays, she charges from room to room, and I can barely keep up with her.
Observing how far my baby girl has come in such a short period of time, I thought how similar writing and walking are. How? In my post about self-confidence earlier this week, I mentioned that to write (or to walk), we need to be willing to fall down. Unless we are willing to write a rubbish first draft, the chances of creating a masterpiece are significantly reduced. We start procrastinating and waste our time on waiting for perfect conditions before we carry on with our project.
Here are some compassion phrases to help with resistance, self-doubt and a lack of self-confidence. Remember, these are not affirmations. The purpose of these statements is to dissolve any blocks and unhealthy patterns.
Would you join me for a short healing meditation?
If you prefer to read the statements, please take a couple of breaths to ground yourself, bring your attention to your heart-centre and solar plexus, and give yourself warm heart energy.
- I’m so sorry you feel so insecure
- I’m so sorry you doubt your ability to write well
- I’m so sorry you give yourself a hard time for not doing better
- I’m so sorry you compare yourself unfavourably with other people
- I’m so sorry you are anxious you haven’t got all the answers
- I’m so sorry that you rely heavily on external validation in order to boost your confidence
- I’m so sorry you procrastinate
- I’m so sorry you feel overwhelmed
- I’m so sorry you are easily discouraged
- I’m so sorry you sit on the sidelines and expect to win the game
- I’m so sorry it takes you longer to learn things others already know
- I’m so sorry you don’t just ‘get on’ with it
- I’m so sorry that other things you have to do get in the way of your writing.
That’s it for now. Take a deep breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth; bring your attention to your feet on the ground; and have a glass of water as soon as possible.
So, how was it? Let me know below, please.